Thursday, July 19, 2007

No Power!

I was out at volleyball on Monday night and a tornado touched down in my backyard! Luckily, my mom decided to come with me so my kids could watch me play, so nobody was home. It completely destroyed the fence surrounding our pool and left us without electricity for TWO DAYS. Of course, those would happen to be the two hottest days of the summer. It was in the upper 90’s. My dear husband was in Dallas (we live in MD) for the weekend and missed his flight that day. As soon as I got home, they closed all of the roads coming into our neighborhood so the electric company could work on the lines. He was blocked out. I was left alone with 5 boys and no pool. First thing Tuesday morning I got them all dressed and we headed to the mall (AIR CONDITIONING!!) It just happened to be family fun day, so the kids had fun. I dragged out the mall as long as possible - merry go round rides, hair cuts, lunch, pet store, dollar store (prizes for everyone.) That took us until about 1 pm. Then we piled into the car and headed to my mom’s. No way was I going home with all of those kids to a 90+ degree house! Well, my mother is priceless. No matter what the occasion -parties, dinners, guests, or just Tuesday nights - she pours bowls of chips, nuts, crackers, etc and sets them on the counters with various dips. Well, I was standing there talking to her while we were preparing dinner, and all of a sudden I realized I was eating chips and dip!!! These are not baked chips and low-fat dip. These are sour cream & onion lays and regular french onion dip! So there went a bunch of my points out the window. I’m sure I earned bunches of activity points chasing the boys around the mall, but I didn’t add them.
Our electricity resumed last night around 11. I don’t miss the heat, but the silence, darkness and dancing candle-light that come with a blackout were pretty romantic. Too bad my man can’t wake up and catch a plane when he’s supposed to!!

No comments: