Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Through a Glass Darkly


I just saw him last week. He had gone to Istanbul, Turkey to be a missionary, so I thought it was a little odd that I saw him in a crowd the other day. He even looked a little more clean-cut than I'd ever seen him, even when he was dating my dorm head in college. He was looking pretty good.


Well, apparently there was something going on that I, and many of our mutual friends - even his closest friends - had no idea about. He came back from the mission field for a visit, and now he's gone. It can't compute in my mind. Big John. I haven't really even cried yet. I've felt right on the verge, like tonight at church when I saw one of his really close friends walk out sobbing, or yesterday when our youth pastor got up, lip quivering, and said how much he'll be missed at camp. "He was always at peace there, sitting out in a boat on the lake, looking out over the campers." He will be missed. Greatly. The heartache is real. The confusion, the disbelief - we don't really know what to do with it. I can't believe I'm here again, within what, a week, writing about losing someone again? I really don't know what to say, because it really isn't real to me. I can't process it.


In any respect, it makes us hug the ones we love tighter, and want to call our friends and tell them we love them - just in case they might not have known. Even those ones that I haven't seen in a while, I feel like they're a part of my heart, and it aches for them sometimes.

Our pastor said something yesterday that has really stuck with me. It's tempting to want to blame ourselves for this. John was getting help, but we could have done more. If only I had spoken to him when I saw him last. If only they had taken him out to lunch last week. If only someone had known, like really known. Well, Someone did know. Does know. He's here to hold us in our sorrow, and He's there with John by his side. A perfect Big John, with none of the troubles that were haunting him. Yeah, we're left here with the hurt and confusion. We are trying to look through this foggy glass darkly, but he is seeing face to face.

On the other side of that, though, is this... Jesus, when he was teaching his disciples how to pray, told them to say "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven." I take that to mean that we can have a taste of Heaven here, now. Yes, we long for Heaven. Yes, we now have one more person to miss desperately. I've even asked God again if He's sure He doesn't want to just take all of us. Then I see the fullness of His Body here. The love of the family, the comfort in the little clusters of friends holding each other up through this. We can see Him here and now. If we just focus on that - those moments of clarity - we just might make it through this. To the other side.

Face to Face.

6 comments:

Tausha said...

i am so sad to hear of your loss. I hope that you can feel my concern for you and your family. I know that i don't know "really" know you, but I can pray for you just the same. I pray that you and your family may feel peace and know that you are never alone, espescailly at this difficult time. Know that a friend in Utah is praying for you. Take it one day at a time, it will get better. Always remember, You are not alone! Lots of Hugs.

Unknown said...

Losing someone is not easy but knowing where they are resting helps to ease some of the pain. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your friends/family. It sounds as if this man touched the lives of many and will be missed greatly!

Melissa said...

I'm so sorry for your loss... you have an amazing outlook on life. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Heidi Reed said...

You write beautifully. I'm so sorry you are going through this. So many of us have been hit with such hard life lessons lately. It's hard not to walk around in a complete fog. I hope and pray every one of us will be rejoicing "face-to-face" soon. I pray that He will come today.

Much Love,
This Heidi ;)

Catherine said...

Our words can't decrease your pain, but I know that God can show you the way to take comfort for you and your friends. catherine

healthy ashley said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I recently lost a family member in the same way. I was never close with him, but I kept thinking, "What if I...?" It was the hardest thing for me to deal with. It haunted me. And it's something that we just can't grasp. I'm glad you have God to rely on. If we didn't have Him, I couldn't imagine how we'd cope.