Monday, February 18, 2008

Ode to Grandpa

Today was my dad's birthday. My mom, the sentimental softie that she is, decided it would be nice to spend the WHOLE day together as a family. That means, my 4 crazies, plus my sister's 2 - with no boundaries (unless you count the horribly polluted bay on one side - I guess that's a boundary of sorts!)


It started out beautifully. It was a balmy day of somewhere near 65 degrees here in Baltimore today. The sun was shining; the birds were singing and all that jazz. The kids had fun "seagull bowling", as we so gracefully call attempting to run over flocks of birds who are trying to steal our food. Then, as we made our way along the harbor, the wind started up. Along with it, came the clouds... and the rain. We had made it quite a ways away from our cars by this time. Puddles seemed to form out of nowhere. And I don't need to tell you the solution to this equation: little boys + puddles = ... yeah, soaking wet, screaming car full of fun. One good thing that came out of it was <<>> which I would have done if I hadn't left my camera at the restaurant. Oh yeah, we went to a restaurant afterwards. Call me a glutton for punishment (or a Daddy's girl, either one will do.)


After trying unsuccessfully all day to get a picture of Grandpa with ALL the grandkids, we figured out the best way to get them all together was (get out your sunglasses, folks!)...

CAKE, of course!!!! (duh)
I had the good sense to email this picture to myself from my dad's phone since my camera had died (and I subsequently left it at the restaurant so this is my only picture of the day!)

5 comments:

All Things BD said...

Sounds like a fabulous day, rain and all.

Great shot with all the grandkids. Awesome memories.

Tina said...

Awww.. what a fun picture!

I love Dad! He always puts his arm around me and says "you ok?"..

I'm so gonna cry.. thinking about John.. wondering if I should post about it.. are you?

Family Adventure said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Love that picture of the kids with their Grandpa :)
And who doesn't love a good rain puddle to jump in? Honestly, I can't blame them... ;)

Tausha said...

i think that secretely all moms would love to jumo in puddles evey now and then. i would imagine that it would release a lot of stress! (maybe thats why kids are always so go-lucky) sounds like a great day-you did get ur camera back right? arent we glad we have parents around, they never stop teaching us how to live a good life and be a good person!