Friday, January 11, 2008

Put a Stinkin' Muffler on that Thing!!

I remember whistfully the days when "sleeping in" meant snuggling down under my covers in my nice, warm bed until 10 or 11 o'clock on a Saturday morning. These days, when it's my day to sleep in, I get until 8. And that's after waking up at 6:45 to remind my darling husband that it's his day to take Jake to the carpool. He then proceeds to ask me a million questions, "Did you pack his lunch, did you set out an outfit?" Then I lie there for half an hour listening to him slowly brush his teeth and get ready before going to wake up our son. I can't try to fall back to my precious slumber until I hear the garage door open and my biggest kids slam the door.
Well, apparently a teenager on our street recently acquired a "new" car. By "new" I mean a shiny teal-colored 1985 something-or-other (I'm not a car person, forgive me.) I think you can see where this is going. The second I start drifting off...VROOM, VROOM, VROOOOOOOOOOM!!!! Mind you, it's seven in the morning! This goes on for a good 45 minutes. Goodbye, extra hour of sleep. Now, I don't know much about cars, but I'm pretty sure that this is unnecessary. I'm not sure if this boy is doing this on purpose or not, but as I toss and turn, try to readjust my earplugs and pillows over my head, and focus on the droning of my fan, I think to myself "If I wanted to report this, do I call 9-1-1? I mean, it's not really an emergency, I guess - but they don't realize how precious my sleep really is! So what would I do, call 4-1-1 and ask for the local police station? Should I talk to this kid's parents and ask them nicely to PUT A MUFFLER ON THEIR SON'S CAR???" I'm beside myself. I must add that this car has been in their family since I moved here, and I've never heard it until the past month or so. Which is why I think that this kid is waking up the whole neighborhood intentionally. What is he, street racing with this thing?? Then my mind drifts to a time, about 12 years down the road from now... when MY beloved angel turns 16. I have a feeling I'll be the one on the street with the police showing up at my door...
*"The Circle of Life" plays softly in the backround.*
Then the twins start yelling in their room "MOOOOOOMMY!!! Come get me, I want to get out of my CRIIIIB!!!" in unison.
So much for sleeping in.

2 comments:

Jillybean said...

When we first moved into our house, the teenager across the street had a classic VW Bug with similar problems. It would sit in the driveway all day then he would go out around 1:00 (am) and come home at 4:00(am).
He hasn't been around for a while, and we don't miss him a bit.

Tina said...

Remember my white Nissan? :)))