Monday, January 21, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dr. King

I woke all four of my soundly sleeping boys this morning at six o'clock. The Husband is out of town, so I had to wake them ALL up just to take the oldest to the carpool which meets at the park & ride about six minutes from my house. I would have kept him home, but he had a field trip to the aquarium that I didn't want him to miss. I woke the oldest first, since he can get himself ready while I'm getting the others dressed. I then went to wake the the twins, only to find that one had had diarrhea sometime during the night and it was crusted all over him (I know, nice picture) his sheets, pillow - everything. I had to draw a quick bath for him while frantically dressing the other twin and the baby (BAD mommy, leaving the twin in the tub alone!!) Twin One didn't want to come out of the bath, so wrestling his clothes on was fun. Shockingly, I made it out of the house with a few minutes to spare, so I stopped at D&D for some coffee for me and donuts for the boys (I know, I know, don't even bother telling me how bad all that sugar is before school.) Right at 7:25, I pulled into the park & ride. Nobody was there. Nice, I rush to get my FOUR kids out of the house, and they're sleeping in with their ONE kid each (actually, one of them has FIVE kids and one on the way, but only one goes to school and her husband is always there - plus, it sounds better for my story to say they each have ONE kid, so, for the sake of the story they have one kid each)... at least one of them is always late. The only time we're late is if Hubby takes them. Ten minutes go by. This is getting ridiculous. I start texting. "Are you coming today??" No response from anyone. Rude. I call. No answers. I guess I'm going to have to drive him in even though it's not my day! Then, my ears zone into something on the radio that's barely audible. "Blah, blah, blah... Martin Luther King, blah blah blah..."
Yes. I did know it was MLK day. What I did not know was that there was no school today. The field trip is next Monday. I was looking at the wrong week on the school calendar.


In related news, I got some desperately needed groceries. I went to the gym and worked my @$$ off for an hour. I even took the kids to Friendly's for lunch. All before noon! And all of which I would NOT have done had I known school was closed on MLK's birthday (I meant no disrespect, Dr. King, but hey, we ended up celebrating in style!)

5 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Oh no! Don't you hate that, knowing you could have slept in?? But I guess there was an upside after all - at least you got a whole bunch of stuff done. :)

Heidi

Unknown said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA Liss I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE you!!!! you really are one of my hero's:) Miss you!:( I KNOW you hate me:) I WILL get there. when the time is right I guess.

HappyBlogChick said...

Ohhhhh noooo, what a morning.

But after the morning it sounds like you had a good day!

Suburban Correspondent said...

Oooh, that hurts! I'm sorry. But Friendly's sounds fun.

suchsimplepleasures said...

i was told to come visit your blog...this post, in particular, by tina. well, i have to say, i've done that! i drove my son to preschool, on what i thought was the first day...my bad...no school until the following day!!
hilarious!!