Monday, March 3, 2008

Lettuce in a sandwich?? EW!!

Overheard last night while Grandma was reading to my boys:

Grandma: "Yeah, it's a picnic! Mickey Mouse had a picnic!"

Owen: "What's dat?"

Grandma: "That's a sandwich, mmmmm, yummy - because they're having a picnic. See the picnic basket?"

Owen: "No, what's DAT?"

Grandma: "That's lettuce."

Jake: "That's not a sandwich - there's lettuce in it!"

Grandma: "Yeah, there's lettuce in the sandwich."

All three boys in unison: "Ewwwwwww" (I wish you could hear the intonation of this.)

Grandma: "No, YUMMY, lettuce in sandwiches is yummy!"

All boys in unison: "Ewwwwww"

Grandma (becoming insistent): "Don't be silly! Lettuce is good for you, we put lettuce in sandwiches. What do YOU put in your sandwich?"

Owen: Butter

Jake & Collin in unison: Peanut Butter & Jelly

Nice. I'm raising some health nuts over here. Like mother, like sons! :)

Note: I do like lettuce in my sandwiches. I guess I should offer my boys more of a variety of sandwiches, since they think there is no such sandwich other than pb&j.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

My kids eat peanut butter and jam - no jelly. NEVER jelly. The one time I had jelly in the house they freaked. out. Wouldn't touch it. The only other kind of sandwich they will eat is cheese. Bread, mayo, cheese. The end.

Tina said...

Hee hee hee.. I'm so glad you told this story.. and YAY, I was there first hand. When I was little my FAVORITE sandwich was my mom's tuna... What a weird little child I was.

All Things BD said...

My youngest will only eat turkey in a sandwich with black olives, and will only eat black olives if they are on a turkey sandwich. She will also eat spinach by the handful, but try and put it on a sandwich and it turns in to deadly poison.

Her other sandwich is called an Alannah Special sandwich, which consists of bologna, salami and american cheese, dry on wheat. Can we say fat and preservatives?

Heidi Reed said...

My kids won't eat sandwiches. They hardly know what they are. Ever since I realized they're tearing out the middle and not eating the bread (and I have this crazy thing about not wasting stuff) I just don't even bother with the bread. They get bologna and cheese cut up on a plate. They eat it with a fork. Weird, I know. Maybe if I tried PB&J I could get these weirdos to eat an actual sandwich.

Heidi

PS: Be safe on your trip and I'm praying!

Jillybean said...

I guess as long as you don't put the lettuce on the pb&j sandwich, you might have a chance of them liking it.
One of my children went about 6 years without eating anything green, or anything that had touched anything green.